Cat in the Mist by Sonja Foust

Love In Shadow banner

Buy

CatInTheMistLoner P.I. Blake Alexander hoped he wouldn't have to involve anyone else in the investigation of his grandfather's death, but the live-in nurse, Karma, suspects foul play... and has secrets of her own. Little does she know, the secret of who Blake really is could kill them both. Can Blake resist giving Karma the truth, and perhaps his heart, or will she convince him to confide all to save her-- and himself-- from the danger prowling in the misty orange grove?

EXCERPT

“Who are you?”

“Blake Alexander.”

When her blank stare continued, he clarified. “Henry’s grandson.”

Recognition lit her features, and her shoulders relaxed a bit.

“I wasn’t expecting you. Henry told me you lived in Oregon.”

“I do.” He nodded, then smiled at her, careful not to show too many teeth. He hoped he looked friendly, not frightening. This would have been so much easier if he’d been expecting to see her here. He suppressed an annoyed growl.

“I came down when I heard the news,” he continued.

She nodded. “The funeral was this morning.” She paused and sent him an expression meant to scold him for not being there. “It was very nice.”

He tried his smile again. “I didn’t come for that.”

If she’d been a cat, all the hair on her back would have stood up right then. “Oh?”

“No. I came to see you.” He tried very hard to keep his tone even. “Of course I didn’t expect to find you here.” He indicated the house in its entirety with one long sweep of his arm.

“You came to see me?” Apparently, it was so ridiculous it bore repeating. “What do I have that you could possibly want?”

“I want to find out what Henry was like from someone who knew him.”

He nearly cringed at the lie and hoped she couldn’t see through him. He’d never liked pompous old Henry in his pompous old houses with his pompous old advice—especially the advice.

“I’d be glad to tell you what I know.”

Blake nodded. She’d actually bought it. This was going to be easier than he thought. A little tug here, little push there, maybe even some seduction, and he’d have everything he needed from her. It might even be pleasant, which he affirmed as he took another discreet glance at her legs.

“So shall we discuss it over dinner?”

Karma’s question ripped Blake from his thoughts. A little forward of her to ask him on a date the first time they’d ever met each other. He liked it.

Buy

Behind the Scenes of "Cat In The Mist" -- Take a tour of Redlands, California, the real town behind the fictional town in "Cat In The Mist."

Sonja Foust
http://www.sonjafoust.com

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: